Destruction Productions
Destruction Productions
Destruction Productions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Make Games. Make Money. Make Friends.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Programmers' Discussion Thread

Go down 
+2
gullesnuffs
Hegemege
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hegemege
Hegemege

Number of posts : 919
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Programmers' Discussion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 7:11 pm

Okay, I think we're in a need for some discussion how the game will be programmed. Here are some questions that popped into my mind:

1) Movement:

-Should we move the characters by adding/reducing variables x and y, or use vspeed and hspeed?

-Jumping with gravity? Y/N? it might be a bit glitchy.

-How about solids? (I prefer not)

2) Shooting

-In Nrage's level 1 beta there were shootable barrels and boxes. Should these be only background stuff and when you shoot directly on them, they explode/break? Otherwise the bullets just pass them, so the boxes wont be in the way. OR, should these boxes be blocking objects and one could hide behind them?

-When the player aims, its obvious that the gun should point towards mouse. How could we EFFICIENTLY rotate the body so that his arms dont rotate too much and it would look smooth? I mean that his arms won't be the only part moving.

-How high speeds should we use for bullets? I somewhat figured a way to fix the fact that very fast moving instances sometimes skip solids and other objects, by checking:
if place_meeting(x+lengthdir_x(hspeed,direction),y+lengthdir_y(vspeed,direction),enemy_parent)
What are your opinions, would that code work?

-Guns. We need to make the system very easy to use and smooth, no glitches that is. Remember, there will be guns which you can put attachments on and some guns you can't. There will be nearly 100 different possibilities I think so we have to make it as good as we can.

3) Changing between areas

-We should create an efficient script to let the player travel between places. However, should we use multiple rooms and make some instances persistent, or just move the view in a huge room, and deactivating instances who shouldn't do a thing in the current area?

4) Enemy AI

- How intelligent AI should we have? More clever = More work. But we can't make hte enemies just run towards you when you are within some x range and shoot you.

Feel free to post your own ideas and start discussing on others'.
Back to top Go down
gullesnuffs

gullesnuffs

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2009-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 9:22 pm

1) I think we should use a physics DLL/GEX, and do what is needed for it to work.

2) Obstacles are kind of important, just walking in a corridor, shooting straight forward is no fun.
I have no idea about how the body is going to follow the aiming, I guess we'll have to talk it over with the graphics "department".
Are the bullets to be seen at all? It's not realistic being able to duck a bullet when it already has been shot...

3) I vote for one single room for the playing (and other rooms for main menus and stuff) and deactivating instances, because I think that when you re-enter a room, it should look the same as you left it, one option is that we save all coordinates and stuff to a file and opens it again when we need it.
Will we use the built-in level editor or make one ourselves, I vote for making one ourselves.

4) I guess we'll work on it as much as we want to, until we're satisfied with the result.
Back to top Go down
http://gullesnuffs.deviantart.com/
Hegemege
Hegemege

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 9:38 pm

Thanks,

1) okay to me...
2) We can make the shots instant except for rockets and grenades.
3) Hmm... it is quite frustrating to use the GM room editor, but to make one our own? is it even possible? OFC we can use our own files to load the maps...
Back to top Go down
Commander~DEST
Admin
Commander~DEST

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 9:50 pm

I agree with crates and other such objects being able to interact with the gameplay. For the bullets, you should at least be able to see something.
Back to top Go down
https://dest.forumotion.com
Hegemege
Hegemege

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 9:52 pm

we can make a light line to "follow" the bullet for a short time so you see where it hit, or if your aim sucks, didnt hit Razz and we can check a collision_line for hits.
Back to top Go down
Commander~DEST
Admin
Commander~DEST

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 9:59 pm

Sounds great. BTW: Thanks for making this topic. It will really help us progress.
Back to top Go down
https://dest.forumotion.com
gullesnuffs

gullesnuffs

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2009-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 9:59 pm

But that can as well just be a line (in fact, I think that would be better).

3) I have made built-in level editors for a couple of my games and that's worked great. It isn't that much work and it's quite popular building own levels so that's another benefit.
Back to top Go down
http://gullesnuffs.deviantart.com/
Hegemege
Hegemege

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 10:06 pm

But the thing is, that should we allow people to make their own levels? Okay, it's fun, but whats the usage of those levels? Good idea, but I haven't seen many shooting games have level editors, anyways if majority wants it, lets do it.
In the first post, I meant that should the main story game be in a one single room.
Back to top Go down
Hacker

Hacker

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2009-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 10:36 pm

A level editor is something we can work on after we get the storyline started...

I really hate using physics DLLs/GEXs
Back to top Go down
http://www.glitchygames.forumotion.com
Xeno Daphron
Marpaz
Xeno Daphron

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2009-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 12:05 am

If bullets are at real speed, how are we going to have our character avoid them? Right now it seems as an accuracy engine will decide if you live or die along with AI intelligence on non-intelligence.

Hitting the enemies also becomes a "how-good-is-your-gun" thing. As far as I see it you point at the enemy, click a button, and a luck-based engine decides if you hit or not.
Back to top Go down
http://rehenicachronicles.webs.com/
Hegemege
Hegemege

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 12:12 am

Xeno Daphron wrote:
If bullets are at real speed, how are we going to have our character avoid them? Right now it seems as an accuracy engine will decide if you live or die along with AI intelligence on non-intelligence.

Hitting the enemies also becomes a "how-good-is-your-gun" thing. As far as I see it you point at the enemy, click a button, and a luck-based engine decides if you hit or not.

So, you think it's bad?
Back to top Go down
Xeno Daphron
Marpaz
Xeno Daphron

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 12:17 am

I don't see how it will work very well from a gameplay prospective. So, yes, I think its bad. I haven't tried a game like that, but it doesn't seem to work well.
Back to top Go down
Hegemege
Hegemege

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 12:57 am

Okay.

But the bullets can't go too slow either... readonable speeds in GM would be 25+, so we'll just have to calculate if its gonna hit something with my piece of code... And we can still have the light drawn line there... Smile
Back to top Go down
Xeno Daphron
Marpaz
Xeno Daphron

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 1:08 am

Why can't the bullets go too slow? In most shooters the bullets go slow, it makes it more challenging. (and more fun most likely)
Back to top Go down
Hegemege
Hegemege

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 1:17 am

Well, the bullet can't be in the air more than few seconds though. 1-2.
Back to top Go down
Xeno Daphron
Marpaz
Xeno Daphron

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 1:19 am

Yea, just slow enough so you can see the bullet and have time to dodge it if you are far enough away.
Back to top Go down
Hegemege
Hegemege

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 1:20 am

Which opens up a new question. How wide should the view be? I mean, 30*players width or what?
Back to top Go down
Xeno Daphron
Marpaz
Xeno Daphron

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 1:26 am

That is a VERY good question. Screen sizes are problematic. How wide is the character?
Back to top Go down
Hegemege
Hegemege

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 1:29 am

Lets say he is x pixels wide. There has to be a nice constant for this kind of things... and no, i dont mean golden ratio, but we can use a multiple of it Razz

I'll make some concepts on paint and post here if i find out something decent...
Back to top Go down
Xeno Daphron
Marpaz
Xeno Daphron

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 1:33 am

Ok, having a model for the character will help. Even if it's a very rough one.
Back to top Go down
Hegemege
Hegemege

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 1:35 am

Back to top Go down
Hacker

Hacker

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2009-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 3:56 am

Ummm... I'm REALLY hoping your joking right now...
Back to top Go down
http://www.glitchygames.forumotion.com
Hegemege
Hegemege

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 4:53 am

I don't think you know what this all was about? Very Happy

The stickmen and all are just a joke, but I tried to find a nice view measures... like, how wide should the player be compared to view width, so that you can aim far enough?

It's not meant to be a game concept of any level or anything Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bretboy129
bretboy129

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 6:01 am

lol!!!
Back to top Go down
http://glitchygames.forumotion.com/forum.htm
Hegemege
Hegemege

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 6:36 am

We can make a Documentary of how this game was created and include that "concept art" and underneath reads "The first game concept art of world-wide known Destruction Productions' hit game 'Biolab 4'."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Programmers' Discussion Thread   Programmers' Discussion Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Programmers' Discussion Thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Destruction Productions :: Archives-
Jump to: